Sunday, August 28, 2011

Into the Pasture

...He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me besides still waters.
He restores my soul.  Psalm 23:2-3a









I AM

Pencil marks on a wall, I wasn't always this tall
You scattered some monsters from beneath my bed
You watched my team win
You watched my team lose
You watched when my bicycle went down again
And when I was weak, unable to speak
 Still I could call You by name
And I said, Elbow Healer, Superhero
Come if You can
You said, I AM

Only sixteen, life is so mean
What kind of curfew is at 10 PM?
You saw my mistakes
And watched my heart break
Heard when I swore I'd never love again
And when I was weak, unable to speak
Still I could call You by name
And I said, Heartache Healer, Secret Keeper
Be my best friend
And You said, I AM

You saw me wear white by pale candlelight
I said forever to what lies ahead
Two kids and a dream, with kids that can scream
Too much it might seem when it is 2 am
And when I am weak, unable to speak
Still I will call You by name
Shepherd, Savior, Pasture Maker
Hold onto my hand
You say, I AM

The winds of change and circumstance blow in
and all around us
So we find a foothold that's familiar
And bless the moments we feel you nearer

When life had begun, I was woven and spun
You let the angels dance around the throne
And who can say when, but they'll dance again
When I am free and finally headed home
I will be weak, unable to speak
Still I will call you by name
Creator, Maker, Life Sustainer
Comforter, Healer, my Redeemer
Lord and King, Beginning and the end

I AM
Yes, I AM

--Nicole Nordeman, Woven and Spun, 1999





The Lord Is My Shepherd




I Shall Not Be In Want




He Makes Me Lie Down...




I Lie Down

Sometimes, at night, when
Darkness is spinning around me,
Fear and loneliness creep in
My bedroom
And press upon me
Like a shadow of my scars.

Thoughts of endless to do lists
and "what ifs",
Angry words,
Unspoken sorrows.
The day's end,
Broken body, weary.

I roll over the rumpled coverings,
Askew from restless dreams,
To reach for my Bible
And hug it tight to me.
Speechless, I barely whisper your name.

I imagine you are with me,
My Abba, my Shepherd,
Gently waiting to hear me speak your name.
I dream you are holding me softly in your
Omnipotent arms.

Somehow, I think that is how you wanted it
My childlike desires for warmth
And peace, when everything else
Falls away, and nothing left,
But my speechless sigh.

I nestle in close,
And simply trust in that place
Where words fade to darkness.
And you are all I need.
Your soft presence like a
Sweet lullaby.
You take me to the quietness
Of my soul to restore me
To morning's fresh mercies anew.

You are all I need.
--Darcee Zehm


No comments:

Post a Comment