Friday, March 8, 2013

Letters to Heaven




Our baby would have been nine years old this March, but it wasn’t God’s plan for her to be born into our world.   In remembrance of our unborn child, my husband, Mel, and I wrote letters to the baby and put them in a helium balloon.  Our family then gathered for an emotional time of reflection and prayer near Mel’s father’s grave.  After reciting Psalm 23 and praying together, we said goodbye to the one we would never know on earth and released the balloon to heaven.  As the due date approached nine years ago, I prayed for God’s wisdom about the sex of our unborn child and asked for a name.  I needed this for closure.  In my heart, God gave me an answer, and so she is called Faith Ann.
This is the poem I wrote:

It’s a Girl!

I read my Bible to find healing
and look at a picture on my bookmark of Jesus
carrying a baby gently in his arms,
Kissing her.
It reminds me of a dream I had…
Jesus steps out in all of his glory in the kingdom of heaven,
Streets lined with gold,
Friends and family gather in eternal worship.
Jesus stands before them,
Holding a baby in his arms and announces,
“It’s a girl!”
Grandparents, aunts, uncles are filled with joy.
Angels sing in worship of God who is creator of all things,
All life.
Faith, my dear, you are blessed to be raised by angels and saints
in the divine kingdom…
To sit at the feet of Jesus and learn your first words.
Someday, we will meet and embrace
to spend eternity with our king!
Love, Mommy
March 18, 2004 (Faith’s due date)

For more about Faith's story:  http://dzehm2.blogspot.com/2017/03/faiths-legacy.html


No comments:

Post a Comment